Friday, January 2, 2015

Native Americans!




Wow!  It is almost the end of winter break.  I can’t believe the time has flown by so fast.  One of my New Year’s resolutions is to make sure I try to blog at least once a week.  I also need to remember to take pictures of all of the cool things we do in our classroom.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the excitement (engagement) that I forget.  

I wanted to take a quick minute to show you some of the pictures; one of the teachers on my team took, as we were studying our Native American Unit.  The students LOVED it!!!!!  



I actually took two complete weeks before Thanksgiving to study all four regions.  I incorporated the unit into our whole literacy block.  I used two to three days for each tribal region.  The first day I introduced the region with a power point.  The students took notes using a circle map. 
I then used the printable readers in our differentiated reading groups.  They highlighted important information, and then used the book to complete a tree map where they classified the information into clothing, food, shelter, and transportation.  They really became good at researching on their own by the third tribal region.
In writing, the students used their information to complete a planning flee map. 
The second day, we studied and made the craft.  The students also completed the writing that was planned the day before.  







http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Native-American-Unit-1351508
The research projects were amazing!  The students were so excited to show them off.  We were able to visit one of our kindergarten classes and share our projects the day before Thanksgiving break.  We paired each second grade student up with and a kindergarten one.  I was so impressed with how much they really learned and how they were able to teach, I took a speaking and listening grade.  

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment